Re: [TenTec] Omni VI Mystery

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI Mystery
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 10:08:19 -0500
I use a Stamford Research SR-620 with a GPS Discipline oscillator for a reference. However, many less expensive counters will resolve to 0.1 Hz or better.

This is the key when one needs to determine a frequency such as the BFO's being; 9.000400 MHz or 9.000000 MHz or 9.003000 MHz or 9.002295 MHz or 9.002215. These are values to 1 Hz. These are the frequencies of the BFO's depending on mode, per the Ten-Tec manual.

I do not view a receiver to be a frequency determining instrument. Just think, what would be the likely result if you didn't know your Omni VI was not correct and you used it to make a measurement or calibration?

It was pointed out earlier that I implied the adjustment had to be 0.1Hz. Nope, that was not what was stated. I stated "a frequency counter with an accuracy of 0.1Hz or better is required" . The adjustment needs to be resolved to 1 Hz.

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Allen" <jim.allen@longhornband.net>