Re: [TenTec] Omni VI Mystery

To: John King <k5pgw@yahoo.com>, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI Mystery
From: Jim Allen <jim.allen@longhornband.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 09:15:00 -0500
I can't imagine this is a problem affecting all Omni VIs.  It's been out
there long enough and there are so many CW ops using them for so long that
hell would have been raised by now.  As fastidious as these ops can be and
as exacting as their requirements are, it would have been intolerable if
this had been exhibited in more than a few radios.  As indicated, I have
another Omni VI+ which operates exactly as expected.  My understanding is
these radios are identical in this respect, other than renumbering the
parts in the circuit diagram.

What is perplexing is that the tech staff couldn't find anything amiss and
pronounced it up to spec.  It clearly is not.  It passed all alignment
testing there, I was assured, on two different benches.

My favorite theory is that some part is gone bad and the frequency is not
switching properly as one op posted.  The guru I consulted thought it
should be possible to do the test he proposed and isolate it down to a
handful of parts.

I'm reluctant to go in with a screwdriver/alignment tool and start turning
little devices without proper gear as the circuits interact and doing so
could really mess things up.  I have experience at fiddling with something
without knowing what you are doing and without proper equipment.  I think
the phrase is "fix it 'til you break it."  I have experience at this.

Hopefully this will work out better!

73 de W6OGC  Jim Allen

On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 4:25 AM, John King via TenTec <tentec@contesting.com