Re: [TenTec] 160 Meter Problem

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 160 Meter Problem
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 10:01:15 -0700
On Mon,8/18/2014 9:51 AM, Mike Bryce wrote:
remove and then plug back in connectors

This is good advice.

Other thoughts. The antenna described probably won't work very well on 160M -- very high SWR, difficult to tune, even with a very good tuner, and a dipole lower than about 150 ft is a low dipole on 160M. :) Low means lots of ground loss and weak high angle radiation. Been there, done that.

What works MUCH better is to tie both sides of the feedline together if it's fed with some form of twin lead, or the shield if it's coax, and load it as a long wire against whatever counterpoise is available. In Chicago, I used a wrought iron fence that ran around my front yard. I didn't work a lot of DX, but I did OK in the US and VE. Warning -- do NOT try this if there's a common mode choke at the feedpoint -- it is quite likely that it will fry.

73, Jim K9YC