Re: [TenTec] 160 Meter Problem

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 160 Meter Problem
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 11:28:33 -0700
On Mon,8/18/2014 11:14 AM, Jim Allen wrote:
I removed the covers top and bottom but find no 81595 mixer board.  I did
find what appears to be connector 82 on the logic board and did "remove and
plug [it] back in" with great trepidation.

Why trepidation? It's common for connector contacts to oxidize or become loose over the years. Disconnecting and reconnecting one or more times simply scrapes a bit of the oxidation off. Just be careful to remove and re-connect them without bending contacts, and lined up correctly (not one row off, for example). And do this for ALL the connectors.

Another thing I would try is to back off the power a lot (5-10W) and see if you get anything out. If the SWR is very high at the rig, the TX may go into protect mode, especially at full power.

I think this may be a job for Sevierville.

Why? It's probably one of the first things the guy on the bench is going to do, and I'll bet that you work a lot cheaper than he does, especially by the time Paul Clinton is done with you. If these simple things don't fix it, THEN send it to them.

73, Jim K9YC