Re: [TenTec] OMNI-D Series C

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OMNI-D Series C
From: Neil Martinsen-Burrell <neilmartinsenburrell@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 12:18:44 -0500
I am a new ham and my Omni C is just my second transceiver.  I may just
have low expectations, but coming from my Kenwood TS-520SE the Omni has a
number of improvements that I enjoy.  For where I am right now in my ham
radio life, I am having a hard time figuring out what more I could want!
(Okay: digital modes, CAT interface, 60 and 17m, relay-free QSK, anything
else?)

1) The receiver is wonderful and the permeability tuned front end is
satisfying to know you're only receiving the signals you want.
2) The solid state finals save the minor hassle of tuning the tube output
tank on the 520, although I did have to trim my dipoles a bit more
carefully to make the TT happy at full power.
3) Digital frequency readout is nice although I haven't bothered to check
the readout against WWV.  I did have a surprisingly hard time figuring out
which way to turn the dial to go up and down in frequency without an analog
dial indicator. I'm mostly used to it now.
4) 30 and 12 meters are occasionally fun, although I have to put up more
antennas (aw, shucks).
5) The filtering is great.  I like having the two crystal filters cascaded
with different levels of audio filtering.
6) The noise blanker actually worked on electric fence noise.
7) The notch filter actually works fairly well too, although not
automatically of course.

Since I'm committed to mostly CW right now, the Omni C is just right for
me.  I intend to be with this radio for quite some time (although the Eagle
sale was certainly enticing).

-Neil KD0UKC