Re: [TenTec] Tentec Jupiter and Heil Mics

To: k9yc@arrl.net, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Tentec Jupiter and Heil Mics
From: Richards <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 03:48:24 -0400

On 8/31/2014 1:53 AM, Jim Brown wrote:

I've never needed a preamp with a dynamic mic into a Ten Tec rig.

Well... (he said with a smile, and in good humor...) you just have not LIVED until you try one! ;-)

Consider:

        Different Strokes Dept.  No. 297873

We agree using the front panel microphone input should not require a preamp... yet, I MOST OFTEN use a preamp with several different microphones as I prefer using the LINE-IN input on my Omni VII, and the not front panel mic input jack, in which case the preamp handily brings the microphone output up to line level, and (depending on the microphone) supplies phantom voltage as well.

I generally prefer working at line level, especially with computer sound cards, PA systems, radios, recording systems, etc., as I figure the external preamp is cleaner than the little one that is built into a the computer sound card, PA, recorder, or radio. I am not saying it is always cleaner, just that I blithely presume it, and since I pay the bills, I usually get my way ! The customer is always right at my house. ... ;-)

So, we agree, using the front panel mic input should not require a preamp. But I say a pre-amp can be a very handy item when using alternate inputs.

Happy days, and Happy Holiday Weekend, OM.