Re: [TenTec] OT: Programming Cheap Chinese Handhelds

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Programming Cheap Chinese Handhelds
From: Richards <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2014 01:44:39 -0400
The  cheapest solution ...

is to TURN OFF WINDOWS AUTOMATIC UPDATES - and load the driver that came with the cable. It will work as advertised. Once you turn the Windows Automatic Update feature back on, it will download the newer Prolific brand driver and overrule the bootleg cable driver that came with the cable. OR... you can load the driver on a Win XP or earlier system that does not do automatic driver updates, and avoid the whole mess.

No cost. Just that easy. That is what I did (we also used a real serial port, instead of a USB cable, and it works swell that way, too.)

Just My take.