Re: [TenTec] OT: Programming Cheap Chinese Handhelds

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Programming Cheap Chinese Handhelds
From: Clayton Brantley via TenTec <tentec@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2014 15:12:50 -0700
Why not start a Chinese Junk list and keep this list for it's intended purpose?

Clayton N4EV

On Monday, September 8, 2014 5:21 PM, geoffrey mendelson
<geoffreymendelson@gmail.com> wrote:

On 9/8/2014 6:51 AM, Richards wrote:
> Golly... seems like a lot of fuss over nothing much.
> My friends and I all have these little HTs, and we had no
> problems setting up about 100 channels using the
> included programming software.

For the UV-5R someone maintains a web site with exact instructions on
which software to use, which drivers to use and an English version of
the manual written with the help the people of the Yahoo group.

10 minutes of research would have given you all you needed to know.

> I guess it  just went easier for us.   We maintain a 17 site
> repeater system, so we had LOTS of channels to program
> for all the various link frequencies.   It seemed pretty easy
> using Quansheng,  Wouxon, and  Baofeng radios.
>
> Our only hitch was you cannot share programming files between
> brands, and there was no copy-paste function (at least at the time
> we did it)  that would allow us to clone one list for one brand to
> another.  But other than having to type the list again, no issues
> or hold ups here.

There is a program called CHIRP which does exactly that. It allows you
to program radios and save the data in a form it can be loaded into a
completely different radio. The program is open source and supported by
donations, including radios.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson 4X1GM/N3OWJ