Re: [TenTec] Antenna names

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Antenna names
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 11:50:05 +0200
Wade, the problem is, even the name "Windom" is being misused.  I'm guilty
of that too.
To me, "Windom" sounds like a nice, sexy name for an antenna, whereas "OCFD"
sounds like a mental illness.

The proper name for a piece of wire fed anywhere off center is Off Center
Fed Dipole (OCFD).
However feeding it off center by just one inch is still really a dipole.
I bet 90% of the dipoles of this world are off by an inch!

The original Windom was fed with a single wire, off center of course, and
needed a ground network (radials) to operate efficiently.  In that respect
it was kind of like a T-antenna; but not really.

Feeding it with openwire, with an insulator between the two horizontal wire
segments makes it more ground independent. It no longer needs radials to
work well.

A 'T-antenna' should have the top wires equal in length.
This reduces the radiation from them and more power is radiated from the
vertical segment of the wire, which is what we want for working DX.

If we feed off center, especially as far off center as the original Windom
was fed, it causes the horizontal segments to radiate a larger part of the
signal.  So this is not really a T-Antenna.  It's a Windom.

However, just as everyone seems to call 'antenna-matchboxes'
"antenna-tuners", (except Jim and I), everyone also seems to call OCFD
antennas Windoms.  I finally gave in and began using the same names because
it was too much trouble explaining the difference all the time.

I personally like calling a dipole that is not a half wavelength a
"doublet".
That gives us a way of distinguishing between a resonant antenna (dipole)
and a non-resonant antenna (doublet).
But there is no wide-spread acceptance for this.
Sure would make life easier, though.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)