Re: [TenTec] Eagle Mini-Din (?) connector

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Eagle Mini-Din (?) connector
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 11:33:31 -0700
On Fri,9/19/2014 10:57 AM, John wrote:
Anyone know the correct nomenclature or part number from a
retailer, Mouser, Digikey, etc?  No, I don't want another one
that I might melt.  This is my most disliked connector to start
with - too many small parts to assemble to make it whole.

See pages 60 and 61 in http://k9yc.com/HamInterfacing.pdf for part numbers.

This is a common problem with junk mini-DINs, which is what Mouser, Digikey, and RF Connection sell for about a buck. Real mini-DINs sell in the $5 - $8 range. The good brands are Tuchel and Switchcraft. Several years ago, I also bought a good quality mini-DIN from the HRO store in Sunnyvale.

One soldering technique that helps is to use a drop of liquid flux on each contact. I tin the wire first, keeping the solder very thin so it still fits into the pin, drip the flux onto the contact, insert the wire and solder. A good temperature-controlled iron also helps.

73, Jim K9YC