Re: [TenTec] Eagle Mini-Din (?) connector

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Eagle Mini-Din (?) connector
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2014 11:50:53 +0200
Jim is spot-on.

The number one cause of trouble is using cheap plugs.
Using quality plugs, just about anyone can do it.

We have been using DIN plugs in DL for over 50 years now.
Originally 3 pin (for Mono hifi gear), later 5-pin for stereo.
This was probably our most popular plug for hifi use up thru the 1980s.
Now the RCA Phono is more popular for this use.

The common name for this is "Diodenstecker" (translation: diode plug), but
"DIN" actually stands for Deutsche Industrie Norm (translation: German
Industry Standard); there is a discrete standard for plugs with each
different number of pins.  In the meantime there is a European Norm (EN) for
most of the DIN plugs.

For years, I found soldering these was a piece of cake.
Then all of a sudden I started having various problems, including melting of
the plugs.
Of course the reason is simple:  I had purchased cheap plugs on ebay.

I stopped that nonsense and now only buy the expensive plugs from sources
like Mouser or Farnell.
Now it's easy again, at least for the standard size DIN plugs as used on the
Eagle.
Most likely there are cheaper sources for good quality plugs, but the
problem is (at least for me), I don't know how to tell a cheap plug from a
good plug when looking at a picture or reading a description.  So I play it
safe and buy from a known source.

Soldering a Mini-DIN is certainly difficult, especially if you need more
than one or two connections.
Several of the Japanese radios use these.
I've successfully done it a few times, but I absolutely detest working on
those tiny things.

Here in Germany there is a company that makes adapters for ham use:
Eurofrequence Dierking.
They make top quality cable-adapters for a fair price.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)