Re: [TenTec] din connector, etc.

To: <k9yc@arrl.net>, "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] din connector, etc.
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 23:16:43 +0200
"Hang Time" is confusing for many because it has been used in two different
ways.

Jim's definition was the original, even used in the days before we had
transceivers.

There is a second delay or hang time which only affects the receiver's
recovery time.
I believe Ten-Tec first used the term here.

To avoid confusion, years ago I started using the terms "pre-dit delay" and
"post dit delay" when referring to the transmitters' time sequencing.  I
like "hang time" (in its original meaning) better, but it can confuse people
who are only familiar with the other meaning.

Back in the 70s we were testing this stuff and determined that up to about
25ms delay time (both pre and post dit), a human could listen to his own
transmitted tone and still send good CW, but once you delayed a little
longer than that, at speeds of 40 wpm or more you could no longer listen to
your transmitted tone.  Your brain just couldn't cope with the delay; so you
had to use a sidetone generated from the keyer rather than listening to the
transmitted signal.

Obviously the mileage may vary from one op to another, but those are
ballpark numbers.

The REAL solution would be for Ameritron and any possible others to stop
using 1920s technology in their amps and use vacuum relays.  The transceiver
OEMs could set the pre-dit delay to 10ms, the post dit to 12ms, and everyone
would be happy.  In fact there are ways to speed up the vacuum relays that
they switch in about 2ms but it's tricky.  Remember, the reverse diode also
adds 2ms, so you have to do some fancy footwork, which is explained by Rich
Measures on his web site.  If they all do that, then we could drop
transceiver delays back to 4 or 5 ms.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)