Re: [TenTec] din connector, etc.

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] din connector, etc.
From: "Lee WA3FIY" <wa3fiy@radioadv.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 17:18:32 -0400
I suspect that the 70mS Tx to Rx turnaround for the Eagle is either a misprint
or a radio out
of spec.   I looked at six fairly recent Ten-Tec radios yesterday and the
average Tx > Rx time
is 26mS ( leaving the Eagle out of the calculation).  The latest three Elecraft
radios are 34mS
turnaround.   So.....that 70mS is WAY out of character for a good QSK radio and
raises some
doubts about it's accuracy in representing the Eagle fleet.  Especially given
the VERY
positive comments from CW operators here about the quality of Eagle QSK.  BTW,
Ten-Tec
specs the Eagle Tx > Rx recovery time at < 20mS which is quite in line with the
others I
examined.

This is a problem with published specs.  Manufacturers and reviewers alike
sometimes make
mistakes in which the published specs may cast a shadow over the radio being
evaluated
and can even trash sales in some cases.  We need to be careful about putting
too much
credibility into such numbers unless verified over a reasonable size sample by
more than one
testing lab.

Or...in the case of Ten-Tec if we are serious about buying a certain radio but
have doubts
about some such test result, order the radio and try it out for thirty days.
If it really is as bad
as was reported and if that makes it undesirable for our use, return it.

Sidenote:

When the Pegasus first shipped there were a lot of very negative comments on
the list about
it.  After reading a bunch of those I thought WOW...Ten-Tec really dropped the
ball on this
one!  But, following my own advise I ordered one to see for myself.  Long story
short...I kept
the Pegasus and added four more to the fleet here.  As I write this I am
looking at two of
them on my desk as primary radios with a spare on hand (never needed) and two
for my
grand daughters.  I know they are not contest radios..I know that.  I have an
Orion for that
purpose if needed.   But for every day use I find the Pegasus with N4PY control
software a
real delight.   Look at the success of Jupiter.  A Pegasus with a front panel
and a great seller
for Ten-Tec.  Well....I would be less well off today if I had paid attention to
the grumbling and
moaning about the Pegasus way back then.

73 all, enjoyed this discussion.

-Lee-

WA3FIY

SNIP.......