Re: [TenTec] repairs

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] repairs
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 19:00:44 -0500
I can certainly agree on these points.

COO is most important to most of us. We have limited funds to spend on our hobby. Thus a $4K radio over 5 years we see the cost is $800 per year or about $67 per month or about $2 per day. Can you afford this? Where as a $2K radio over 5 years is about 1/2 that. Can you afford this?

Technology is going to change and based on trends, change quite rapidly. Thus I would not project a radio life past 5 years. Look at the prices of LCD TV's over the past 5 years. They have dropped markedly. Yet don't expect the same for ham radios. The volume isn't there to mandate such research and manufacturing costs. Expect to find more radios where one can write their own code and can add their own hardware in the form of amps and tuners and other options. Whether I like it or not, seems this is the way of the future.

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>