Re: [TenTec] New Radios in the Future

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>, Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New Radios in the Future
From: Phil Sussman <psussman@pactor.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2014 08:33:14 -0400
I do agree with Rick to some extent. The days of building from
scratch are quickly waning away. Yes, it still possible to make
simple devices, but the degree of complexity of modern items
outpaces the ability to create.

Consider fiber optic cable -vs- wire. Over the years there's
been a wide variety of wire of various gauges and materials.
But still wire was something that you could connect, crimp,
or solder. Not so with fiber optics - - the diameter is small
yet it can conduct for miles with very low loss without the
issues of EMP or moisture. If you want to splice it, you need
a fusion splicer costing thousands of dollars. If you want to
connect it, the tools and equipment required to clean, inspect,
and terminate it place that ability beyond the average technician.

Yes, progress moves on. But that does not mean innovation is
dead .. it is just different. We still find pleasure in making
the seemingly impossible work. I speak of homemade antennas that
defy logic. I speak of emergency power systems that can power
equipment for days (because of the decreasing power consumption).

Just as LED's have progressed in technology over filament bulbs,
so has our ability to innovate progressed. We might not be able
to repair a circuit board full of SMD components. We still, however,
can take pride in making things work.

Just my thoughts,

73 de Phil - N8PS

-------

Quoting Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP <Rick@DJ0IP.de>:

"there is no better time to be a radio UI homebrewer"

Oh, I do not agree with that!

I agree it is a good thing that people continue to home brew anything at
all, but I can't see how the thrill of programming a computer board or radio
that they bought can compare with the thrill of hearing that first radio
station when I built my first crystal radio in 1958, cat-whisker and all.

Or with building a 20m CW transceiver from a schematic and magazine
article....
Weeks of collecting parts, 40 or 50 hours of soldering it all together, then
finally turning it on and hearing radio signals...
Then sitting down in the living room with the little rig running off of a
battery and using a home brew indoor magnetic loop antenna just 3' in
diameter, and working about 20 stations around Europe in a contest, the
first 30 minutes on the air.  This was excitement.

I built my first computer in 1977, also from an article in a magazine.
Gathered the components and soldered it together, just as I had done with
radios. And I was proud when it worked.  But that didn't match the thrill of
hearing radio stations, at least not for me.

I don't want to take anything away from the people participating in the
makers movement, but let's not sell the past too short either.  These makers
could still build their own radio today if they wanted to.  They have other
interests.

73
Rick, DJ0IP