Re: [TenTec] New Radios in the Future

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New Radios in the Future
From: Jim Allen <jim.allen@longhornband.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 07:54:37 -0600
I look at it just like I looked at running 10Ks, half and marathons and
triathlons.  I had no hope of ever winning one.  As a long ago gym coach
observed, I stay too long in one place.  Nevertheless, once I quit smoking
and started running, biking and swimming, I had a lot of fun, ended up
after quite a few painful months in terrific shape, set new personal bests
almost every time, got a lot of t-shirts, met some fascinating people, had
a lot of fun, and even though I never won, or even won my age group, I did
start scaring the guy who did win the age group, and managed some 5th's,
thirds, seconds etc.

I approach contesting the same way.  You have all the fun without the shin
splints, sprains and runner's knees.  I had a great time on Field Day,
battery powered QRP CW with a home brew S9v31 clone vertical.  I made ~145
Qs in 6 or 7 hours, improved my CW operating prowess, got to know my then
new to me radio a lot better, and generally enjoyed the day.

I did the same in the SSCW this weekend, except that everyone sends a lot
faster in SS than FD, so there was some struggling.  I might finish high in
the section.  I beat last year's winning score in this section by >10,000
points, assuming I didn't screw up any of the exchanges!  If so, terrific.
If not, no problem.

So, there is no need to feel bad if you don't have a winning effort or a
top ten score, etc.  Just relax, enjoy it.

73 de W6OGC  Jim Allen