Re: [TenTec] New Radios in the Future

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New Radios in the Future
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 07:33:56 +0100
Don, I can assure you I had more fun operating that OLD stuff than I do
operating in today's computerized mode.
But I can't even come close to the score I make today, using the old
equipment and techniques.

Part of the problem is the poor discipline of the operators of many of the
DX stations.
They changed the rules to where every station has to give his call sign at
least once per minute.
But they don't.  In fact I saw several going for 5 or 10 minutes in the
recent CQWW SSB, and when they finally gave their call (just once), it was
buried in a landslide of stations calling them.

Without a band scope or packet spot, I wouldn't even know who's on
frequency.

There is nothing more frustrating than sitting on frequency of a huge pileup
for 10 minutes, only to find out you've already worked the guy yesterday.
Using the lovely old station pictured on my web, that's what I would be
doing today.

BTW, here is a picture of my 1980s contest station:
http://www.dj0ip.de/my-station/bremen-1981/

The Drake Line was my run station, and I used the Omni and home-brew
amplifier to its left to chase multipliers on other bands.  I had a quad on
a pole in the back yard, and a beam on top of the house.

THOSE WERE THE DAYS!  ;-)

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)