Re: [TenTec] 17 Meter Antenna

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 17 Meter Antenna
From: Don Jones <ko7i@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 09:31:52 -0800
I drank the ON4UN coolaid regarding compressed delta loops and built a batch of 40M loops for field day, 2 tuned to 7.050 MHz and another pair tuned for 7.175 MHz. They were fed with 1/4 wave sections of RG-11 that were carefully trimmed to length for velocity factor. I also carefully trimmed a 1/4 wavelength section of RG-213 so I use two delta loops as a 2 element driven array. I did not use a hybrid power divider at the feed point - just a coaxial tee connector. My initial thought based upon successful deployment at field day 2014 (W7PIG 6A WWA) that these arrays were going to be my new equalizer for a local club (K7LED 6A WWA) that uses a phased vertical array on a saltwater beach. I promptly set up a contesting buddy with one of the 2 element delta arrays for him to do more beta testing during this winters contesting season. His first observation is that the 2 element delta loop array had more RX QRN than his dipole that is a flat top at 70ft high. His second observation was that the 2 el driven array was only slightly better on transmit. The difference was significant enough that he routed his dipole to the 2nd receive port of his K-3. It is a well know fact that a dipole has 8dBi gain when it is 1/2 wavelength high do to the ground reflection. ON4UN is saying in his book that these compressed delta loops only have 1.6 dBi gain over average ground. Based upon real world A - B comparisons of my buddies dipole to the 2 el driven delta loop array, I am left to wonder if the apexes of the delta loops need to be raised so the average height is 1/2 wavelength.
At 17M this is not very difficult, at 40M we're looking at 80+ ft high.
Just my 2 bits with real world A - B comparisons to back up my wild claims.
Vy 73, Don KO7i