Re: [TenTec] How to Choose an SDR RX for the Pan-Adapter?

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] How to Choose an SDR RX for the Pan-Adapter?
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 11:55:35 +0100
Jim,

I fully agree with you on the PC front.
I deem the old IBM and later Lenovo ThinkPad line of business laptops to be
the best in the industry, but the DELL Latitude family is close enough for
government work.

Of the 5 laptops in use here, 3 are Latitudes, one is a ThinkPad and only my
XYL's old Inspirion is a consumer product.
The first thing I do when I get a new (or used) laptop is max out its
memory.

I stopped buying the consumer products once I learned of the differences in
component quality and level of support between consumer and business lines
of products.  For example, Dell's consumer support is in India, and its
support for its business line is in Oklahoma City (I worked there in
2007/2008).

All of our computers but the Inspirion were off-lease units.

Unfortunately, me buying an off-lease Laptop isn't quite as easy as you
think.

ALL off-lease products here in Germany have German keyboards and German
software, which I can work with but refuse to. Reason: it is too difficult
to switch back and forth between different computers if they are in
different languages and have different keyboards.

CW Skimmer spots brought my single-core laptop to its knees two years ago,
but for this year I re-defined the priorities of the various processes,
giving WIN-TEST a higher priority than the Telnet stuff.  It worked OK after
that.  However if I were to add anything else (more software, especially a
band-scope), I'm sure my laptop wood roll over and play dead.

THE SOLUTION:  TURN THE BAND-SCOPE OFF DURING CW CONTESTS.

Young Kids:  In 2008 I moved from Dell to Seagate Technology, where I did
level three tech support for German customers.  One of the young men on my
team was a ham and he and I still have daily chats via google, so I still
have a very good source of latest greatest technical information.

Have you noticed that while the price of high performing transceivers has
come down, the cost of the computer required to run them has gone up.

Sometimes I just say to heck with it and sit out back behind my house with
my Scout, pen and paper and a cold 807.
Ah, the good ol' days!

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)