Re: [TenTec] Looks like company is fading away

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Looks like company is fading away
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 12:09:34 +0100
Good points, Jim.

I own 3 amps; one Ameritron and 2 Heathkit amps.
The last time I bought an amp from Ten-Tec was Monday, November 23rd, 1998.

5 days before CQWW CW, John (the 4U1VIC station custodian) called me and
said I would not be allowed to bring my QRO Technologies HF-2000 amp - too
much power, even though we only ran it legal power for Austria.  John said
it would be OK to bring smaller amps.

I only had one smaller amp and needed a second one within the next 4 days.
I called every dealer in Germany and could not get one that soon.
I called Scott (W4PA) at Ten-Tec.  He rushed a Centaur out the door that day
and it arrived in Munich on Thursday.  We packed the truck Thursday evening
and left early Friday Morning for Vienna, Austria.
THIS IS WHAT TEN TEC DOES VERY WELL - SUPPORT ITS CUSTOMERS.
Pictures of that expedition:
http://www.dj0ip.de/my-expeditions/4u1vic-1998/

Prior to that, it must have been 1975 or 1976; I bought a Model 405, 50w
transistorized amp.

The Centurion is a lovely amplifier but it's kind of in a weird market
niche.
It's too big to be considered an entry level amp, especially if you need it
to run off of 110v, yet it is not a full legal power amp.  With a heftier
P.S. and better cooling, the pair of 3-500z are easily capable of running
full legal power.

Here in Europe, a single 3-500z will run full legal power in most countries
- so the Centurion is overkill.
And people who don't abide by the rules are looking for amps with 2kW or
3kW, not 1.3kW.

As you suggested, I suspect the sales volume is not very high.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)