Re: [TenTec] 540/Triton Transmit Audio Distortion

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 540/Triton Transmit Audio Distortion
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2015 10:25:37 +0200
Hmmm, I guess the instructions below weren't very clear.

The TX driver board's output is over a piece of RG-174 coax with an RCA
Phono plug on the end.  It plugs into the input of the final amp (PA) board.

The PA's output is also a coax with an RCA Phono plug and it plugs into the
input of the LPF board.

Simply unplug the PA's plug from the LPF board and tape it with electrical
tape so that it cannot create a short circuit, then unplug the driver cable
from the input of the PA and plug it directly into the LPF board.

Just in case someone decides to use the radio like this for an extended
period of time, you should also unsolder the thick red wire that supplies
the PA with +13vdc (and tape it).  That way it won't draw idle current when
in TX.

This actually makes a very nice QRP transceiver!

However, most likely as Jim pointed out, the problem is overdriven audio.
Does the mic gain have any effect on the output power at all?

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)