[TenTec] Ten Tec Orion II AGC settings

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Ten Tec Orion II AGC settings
From: "Steve Ireland" <vk6vz@arach.net.au>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 20:04:28 +0800
G’day all

I’ve been doing some experimentation with the AGC settings on my TT Orion II
(with 3.044xd firmware) and would be very interested in what settings that
Orion II owners on the reflector are using.

In common with what I’ve read in general, I’ve found that varying it from band,
depending on the ambient band noise  is useful (on noisy 160/80m, 20uV seems
fine, while on very weak signals on a quiet 10m, 0.5uV is fine). However, if
you want to move from band to band quickly, setting it around 2.5uV works quite
well as a compromise setting, with RF gain generally around 60 per cent.

As someone who likes CW DXing on the lowbands, I’d be very interested to hear
what settings are generally favoured in terms of threshold, hang and slope to
maximise the ability to read weak signals in noisy band conditions.

I’d also be interested in any comments from those who like to make SSB signals
as hi-fidelity as possible as in regard to AGC hang and decay.

Vy 73

Steve, VK6VZ

---