[TenTec] OT: Anyone used LiFePo technology yet for portable operations?

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OT: Anyone used LiFePo technology yet for portable operations?
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 10:33:51 +0200
I plan to 'finally' start doing some portable operations this year with my
Scout.

I had planned to buy a GEL battery, something like 18 AH, but of course they
are big and heavy.

A lot has changed since I was actively operating portable 15 years ago and
longer.

The LiFePo technology looks too good to be true. (too expensive too, but
that's another story).

An 18Ah GEL battery weight about 14 pounds.

A 12 Ah LiFePo weighs only 5 pounds.  Costs 4x as much, too!

If we can believe the hype, the 12 Ah LiFePo is usable for just about as
long as the 18Ah GEL.

The second problem with the LiFePo is, they require a special battery
charger so can't use my current charger.

That's another 50 bucks or so.  L

I just wonder if it's really worth the extra money going with this new
technology, or should I buy a cheap GEL for now and come back to LiFePo in 3
or 4 years when it is cheaper?

So the question, has anyone actually used the LiFePo for portable operations
with success?

73 - Rick, DJ0IP

(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)