Re: [TenTec] Status

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Status
From: "rick@dj0ip.de" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2015 16:09:47 +0100
Indeed they were, Barry.

As a reminder:

 > First fully transistorized transceiver. (PM1 - I think was the name)

 > First fully transistorized 5-band transceiver (Argonaut 505)

 > First 100w input (50w out) transistorized transceiver (Triton)

 > First 200w input (100w out) transistorized transceiver (Triton II)
Albeit, Swan was more or less in sync with Ten-Tec,  with its SS-100 and
SS-200 models at about the same time TT brought out the Tritons.

 > First 100w input (50w out) amplifier (Model 405)

 > The Hercules may have been the first 500w (out) amplifier

 > First high-power tuner using the Modified-L circuit (can't recall the
model number / predecessor of the Model 238 - I think it was the "229")

 > Here in Europe, the first few OMNI's with their Elevator-tunable front
ends were far superior receivers at the time, to anything out of Japan.
They were also the first receivers to add a diplexer directly after the 2nd
mixer, which is part of the reason they were so good.

 >  First "Dual Receive Receive" with the Corsair

 >  The technology introduced with the OM5, combining the advantages of
digital radios with crystal local oscillators was far superior (here in
Europe) to anything out of Japan at the time.  This continued with the OM6.

 >  The Pegasus was the first SDR and the Paragon the first SDR with knobs.

 >  The Orion was the first transceiver to introduce switchable roofing
filters (though we contesters had already done that 20 years earlier (d-i-y)
with our R4C receivers, using Sherwood filters).

 >  The OM7 was the first transceiver using Upwards Conversion to break the
80dB mark for DR3.  At the time, best upwards conversion rx on the market,
and today still #3 (behind Hilberling PT-8000 and Icom 7851 which cost 4x
more money!)

 >  The OM7 was the first remotable transceiver not requiring a computer
between it and the Internet.

 >  The OM7 was the first transceiver to offer (optional) rear-panel
connection for an external preselector; not a big need in the states but a
great asset here in Europe.

 >  The Eagle was the first "Back to Basics" transceiver with contest-grade
performance for an affordable price, in the age of Feature-Overflow radios.

 >  First company to implement the 2-cable keying loop in QSK linear
amplifiers

 >  AND UNDER COLORADO OWNERSHIP:  First company to charge $79 flat rate
shipping for returned radios!

I SURE HOPE THE NEW OWNER IS IN TENNESSEE!

There we have it.
What have I forgotten.
I know there were a few more firsts, but I can't recall them all.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)