Re: [TenTec] Orion II men battery date?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion II men battery date?
From: "Wes Attaway (N5WA)" <wes@attawayforensics.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2016 07:32:47 -0700
Further to the tuner/battery question .... the antenna tuner in my 565 stopped working several weeks ago and I first contacted TenTec support for repair ideas and the best they could come up with was to change the battery. I did this but it did not help the problem. I went on and did some other service on the radio (replacing caps on A9 board, cleaning/reseating all plugs, measuring voltages, etc. However, none of this helped the tuner problem.

During this process I got curious about the tuner and looked on the LDG website. They had a tuner, the OC-11 model, that was listed as "discontinued" but appeared to be the identical tuner as the Orion tuner. I contacted LDG support about ides for repairs and got a prompt response to the effect that they did not work on TenTec tuners.

I persisted with my questions and was told that the TenTec tuner had a battery on it and that LDG had never made a tuner with a button battery on it and that my tuner was a 100% TenTec tuner.

So, my tuner still doesn't work (but I don't really need it because the SWR on my antennas is fairly low and the radio works fine without the tuner activity.

It would be nice to get some info as to why the tuner just stopped working, but TenTec did not offer any ideas other than to change the battery.

The bottom line is that if your Orion 565 tuner does not have a battery then it is probably an LDG tuner. If it does have a battery then it is a TenTec tuner.