Re: [TenTec] Centurion 422b troubleshooting help needed

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Centurion 422b troubleshooting help needed
From: "rick@dj0ip.de" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 07:55:07 +0100
The 2N3055 was notorious for being available in cheep / poor quality units.
In addition to doping impurities as Alan pointed out, it could also be the
physical build inside of the casing.

In an earlier life, I was a Quality Control technician working on a NASA
project.
We used NASA-Spec components, which is much more stringent than MIL-Spec.
Each component had a serial number and was X-rayed.
Part of my job was reading the X-rays and determining if we would use the
individual device or not.

You won't believe the deviances from the norm that you find inside of the
casing.
A lot of the devices I "saw inside of" were pre-destined to early failure.
I threw out about 10% of the components I examined.

BTW, just buying NASA Spec, if you can find it, is no better than buying MIL
Spec.
The quality improvement came from the process of a human examining the X-Ray of
the individual silicon device and making the choice - go/no-go.  The X-Ray was
included with each device.

"New" is no guarantee of quality.
Nor is buying from a good brand, for that matter.
The good brand just buys you a good warranty, not a guarantee, which means
replacement upon premature failure, not quality.  THERE IS A DIFFERENCE!

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)