Re: [TenTec] Centurion 422b troubleshooting help needed

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Centurion 422b troubleshooting help needed
From: "A R" <raf_3@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 00:04:09 -0700

Just completed an internal visual inspection of the failed MJ15001 using a 20X
stereo scope with alternate light sources. Unfortunately my "shade tree"
failure analysis/forensic lab doesn't include the capability to provide pics of
the 20X views.

My conclusions are based on what the 20X visual inspection revealed, and over
30 years of device/component failure anayses in a former life. In the interest
of brevity here on the list, I won't include details of what was observed, but
will offer detailed info via direct email (off-list) to anyone interested.

Suffice to say that I will not be replacing the failed MJ15001 with another
MJ15001. It is my opinion that the failure was due to a device manufacturing/QC
issue, and NOT an application-induced overstress of the part.

Since there was no evidence of electrical or thermal overstressing of the
transistor, I will replace the failed part with a JANTX 2N3055 which, although
not as robust (spec-wise), at least theoretically it will have been inspected
and screened to preclude the latent-failure conditions observed in the failed
MJ15001. Receipt of the JANTX parts is pending. Assuming they pass incoming
inspection and test, one will get installed in the Centurion, and after a
reasonable burn-in/shake-down period, I'll update with results.

73,

Allen--W7GIF