Re: [TenTec] SOTA RADIO

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] SOTA RADIO
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 01:07:00 -0700
On Thu,3/17/2016 12:38 AM, rick@dj0ip.de wrote:
I have a 12 Ah Li-Fe-Po battery that weighs only 4 lbs. It runs at about 13v.
In comparison, my 9 Ah Gel battery for my motor scooter weighs about twice as
much.

Yes. if you have to carry it up a trail, LiFePO4 batteries are wonderful. I loaned by KX3 plus KXPA100 to AF6RT, who was hiking 2 miles with 2,000 elevation change with W6JTI to light up a rare 6M grid. W6GJB and I both loaned him 20A 13V LiFePO4 batteries. They didn't drain mine in a day, and never touched Glen's.

Wayne Burdick, N6KR, one of the two owners of Elecraft and the chief engineer, is a backpacker at heart. All of his designs squeeze current draw to the absolute minimum, sometimes too much to suit guys using his gear at home. :)

With the KX3, I recommend that users set the built-in RXEQ to roll off everything below 400 Hz to maximize headroom in the earphones.

73, Jim K9YC