[TenTec] Portable QRP/SOTA

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Portable QRP/SOTA
From: Reed <w4jz@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2016 17:42:52 -0500
I see several on the list are interested in QRP, in general, plus operating portable. I've been in QRP for over 40 years, mostly on CW then digital. I don't do contest or go looking for DX, but that is just me. Others love it, which makes Ham Radio so much fun. Something for everyone! I call myself a professional rag chewer no matter the mode. Love talking to new & old hams. Now that I have retired & able to operate portable more I am enjoying the phone bands! Great mode, but QRP doesn't work as well on this mode in the current sun spot cycle. When, if, 10 meters opens up then yeah 5 watts works pretty good, but 25 to 40 watts on phone seems to be the best low power for good 15 to 30 minute QSOs into a GOOD resonant antenna.

A short vertical or random piece of wire you'll probably need more power. Please don't do that! You'll enjoy the hobby much more using a good resonant antenna. A fan dipole is really easy to build for 40 & 20 meters & don't cost much to build if money is tight. A center fed zepp also works great for multiband, but expect some noise from the feed line as on some frequencies it will act as a vertical antenna.

I used this antenna back in the 70s running about 500 milliwatts from a Heathkit HW-8. Back then we called it QRPp. QRO was above 5 watts! Probably little harder to do that today with band conditions up/down & also not as good as they were then, but boy it sure was fun. Had a ham in Spain say, "Bet you will never believe how much power I'm running?" I said, "How much?" He said, "5 watts out." I said, "Well, I'm only running 500 milliwatts." He never came back to me. :( I guess I shouldn't have busted his bubble!

There is a little quarterly magazine, Amateur Radio Club International (ARCI) http://www.qrparci.org/ that has a world of information on QRP & portable operations. You get 4 magazines per year & they even have contest for those interested in that part of the hobby. I've subscribed since the 70s and really have learned a lot of useful information that has helped me over the years.

There are other QRP organizations & also on portable too. Just Google and you should find them. Here is one off the top of my head. http://www.fpqrp.org/

73,
Reed  W4JZ