Re: [TenTec] Portable QRP/SOTA

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Portable QRP/SOTA
From: "rick@dj0ip.de" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2016 08:11:06 +0100
Well if you want a REALLY good antenna for QRP, then put up a full
wavelength lazy loop.
Of course this is nothing for backpackers.

My club ran my Argonaut in QRP class (CW Field Day in Germany) using the 84
meter long loop fed with openwire and matched with a matchbox.  We beat
about 75% of the stations running 100w.

As Tim says, in a pinch a Mag Loop can be a blessing especially for its
size.
My Uncle went QRT when he went into assisted living.  He was really
disappointed.

While visiting home on a longer weekend, I built him a make-shift magnetic
loop which using indoors enabled him to check into his beloved 40m
"Kadidlehoppers Net" daily.  He was generally receiving 57 reports.  I did
not have a variable capacitor available so I used some Yankee ingenuity
(even though I'm a southerner).  It worked.

See for yourself:
www.dj0ip.de/my-favorite-antennas/old-folks-antenna/

At the bottom of that page is a picture of me operating with a foldable
magnetic loop out of a BASEMENT room in a hotel on the Isle of Mann.  I was
working SSB back into Germany and all around Europe.

Neither of these were really good loops. They were just "OK."
But it's amazing what can be worked with these tiny little antennas when
that's all you have room for.

The rig of course was the Ten-Tec Argonaut 509 and 405 amp running 25w to
40w.
For the CW Field Day contest, I moved the station across the street, set up
right on the rocky beach and using my motorcycle's battery for power.
www.dj0ip.de/my-expeditions/isle-of-mann-1992/

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)