[TenTec] Portable QRP/SOTA

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Portable QRP/SOTA
From: Reed <w4jz@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2016 23:48:13 -0500
Hi Tim,

Another antenna that works good portable, or if space is a problem like motel room or apartment, is a loop antenna. For the size they really work well. I have 3 here. An old AEA in the attic, a MFJ-933 & the little Alexloop. Alexloop works really well on a little tripod sitting on a balcony. I also found that in a condo or motel room forget CW, just go PSK-31. So much noise inside those buildings that it is really hard to copy CW. The magnetic loop antenna cuts a lot of the man made noise down compared to other antennas I have used. I've run as little as 3 watts and had no problems carrying on a good QSO where CW I was running 15 watts and barely getting a few QSOs in because of the noise.

Here is a home brew magnetic loop antenna that K8NDS, Rich, built that you can see at this site. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YpyLAULKqg

I've worked Rich several times & he does put out a very good signal from his qth with his loops. He said he gets his vacuum capacitors from Russia. Most of the time he just runs 100 watts, but he said he can run the legal limit. I wouldn't want to be near it when he did! Loops put out a lot of RF in a close space.

Another antenna I want to build is a Moxon for 17 meters. Cheap and easy to build! Should work portable, but probably little much to carry very far.

Buddiepole beam works well too from the reviews I have read, but will take extra time to setup & don't know about the weight thing if walking pretty far.

Know the hill you are talking about! We don't have mountains here, as you know, but we dang sure have our share of hills. The one I live on is just a tad smaller than the one behind Donelson Plaza.

73,
Reed  W4JZ