[TenTec] O2- S-meter adjust.

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] O2- S-meter adjust.
From: gunnerjuulnyholm@me.com
Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 17:55:41 +0200
Hi,

I seek an understanding of the difference in counts for the default settings of
the S-meter. I’m rather new in this forum, maybe it has been explained long
ago. If  so I would like a reference.

Normally the difference between S-units should be 6 dB, and I’m sure TT has
tried to  be precise.The counts are not far off, but the count intervals vary
rather much. However, there must be a reason for the uneven intervals in
counts. An oldfashioned AGC could easily be much more linear in S-meter
reading, so I wonder if it is caused by conflicting  or anticipated operational
settings involving the DSP action?  NR, AGC decay speed, hang time, RF Gain?

I was triggered by a signal on 40 m CW reading close to S+60 by a station which
couldn’t possibly (>500 km away) generate a 50 mV signal at the antenna plug.

If I had a calibrated RF generator I would of course have calibrated the
S-meter. But I don’t. Has anybody tried to check the default settings?

73, OZ6NF, Gunner