Re: [TenTec] Opinions sought re OMNI VI

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Opinions sought re OMNI VI
From: "rick@dj0ip.de" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2016 00:09:59 +0200
John,

It's the rear end, not the front end that folds back power, but otherwise
you are right.
It is an excellent choice of radio.

Erecting an antenna inside of a building is always a challenge.
It is difficult to predict how any antenna will work under these
circumstances.

If you want to work (almost) all bands, then your choices are either an
openwire fed dipole requiring a very good dipole with a very wide matching
range, or an Off Center Fed Dipole (OCFD).  However I know of no
commercially built OCFD that I could recommend except of course the one I
sell and it is out of place to advertise my own stuff here.

With the OCFD antenna you can get a low enough SWR on all bands, when the
antenna is hanging in the free and clear, that the OM6 will not need a
matchbox.   If strung inside a building, no telling.  A matchbox might be
necessary but it will not need the same wide matching range that a matchbox
for center-fed, openwire fed dipoles need.

How much space do you have inside of the building?
You'll need 135 ft. for 80m and above.  67 ft. for 40m and above.

I will be very happy to help you plan your OCFD antenna if that's what you
decide to do, but let's take it off reflector, direct.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)