Re: [TenTec] Source for Binaural Receiver

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Source for Binaural Receiver
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2017 10:07:14 -0800
Kim is almost right in that it is TIME that gives us the most powerful directional cues. Amplitude differences between ears is second. The low pass filter to one ear and high pass to the other does both, because there is phase shift in the spectrum where the response is falling.

The importance of time is easily demonstrated. Set up two loudpeakers as for stereo and play the same white noise (between stations on FM) to them. Now, get exactly on centerline between them and facing center, listen to the sound, them crab-walk side to side so you're still facing centerline. As you move either side, the image will very quickly shift to the speaker you are nearest to.

Now, turn so that only one ear faces the speakers and repeat the listening experiment as you walk normally (and slowly) back and forth between them. You will the sound of the noise change as your ear gets to places where certain frequencies are 180 out of phase and nearly equal. This is the mechanism that causes selective fading (that very slow facing on the AM band and 160 and picket fencing on the VHF/UHF bands). It happens when an antenna picks up both a direct signal and one that is reflected by band conditions.

73, Jim K9YC