Re: [TenTec] Source for Binaural Receiver

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Source for Binaural Receiver
From: Doc <k0evzdoc@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2017 10:46:10 -0700
Spencer, well frankly I don't know for sure, but don't believe so.  In
fact, wouldn't a stereo headset be better, also allowing the operator to
move around a bit, while the audio into the headset would remain constant.
So far as I know--and I'm just learning about all this!--the radio/audio
device takes the original signal, changes one of them by 90 degrees, then
both the original and now-shifted signal go to the output.

 The result is that what is heard sounds like stereo, with the various
signals apparently "floating" in a 3-dimensional space.  The signal one is
desiring to listen to/work will be tuned for equal loudness in each ear.
Seems like there are a number of ways that this 90-degree shift can be
done, from the very complicated to a fairly simple L/C network.  If I
hadn't heard all this, I would think we are describing hocus pocus, but it
does work and very well.

So you can see that while it *might* be possible to use a pair of speakers,
but using headphones would be optimum for the 3-dimensional effect.

As I said, it has taken me lots of research and reading in order to be able
to understand this in purely layman's terms (g).

73,
--Doc/K0EVZ

On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 9:37 AM, Spencer <w1gak@arrl.net> wrote:

> Would a pair of carefully tuned and properly placed  resonant speakers
> work?
>
> Spencer W1GAK

Doc/K0EVZ