Re: [TenTec] Source for Binaural Receiver

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Source for Binaural Receiver
From: Charles Shaw <chasshaw@leaco.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2017 16:59:07 +0000
Hi,
I'm reading from the digest so this info may already have appeared on the list by the time you see this.

The Ten-Tec Orion (and I suppose the Orion II) was built with a feature which was called Panoramic Stereo. This is NOT the same thing as diversity reception which requires two antennas feeding two receivers. Pan-Stereo is accomplished by DSP with one receiver using one antenna. I no longer have an Orion manual, but I feel certain that this is covered in those. Even if not, there was a three-page brochure by Doug Smith, KF6DX, then at Ten-Tec, titled 'Panoramic Stereo Reception: The New CW Advantage'. He said, "Panoramic stereo is designed for use with headphones, but you can still appreciate the effect with loudspeakers." I always used it in CW contests.

If someone really needs a copy of this, I might be persuaded to scan and email it. But, I think the Orion manuals should suffice.

73,
Charles - N5UL
Hobbs, NM