Re: [TenTec] Wrong Product - Eagle - *NOT*

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Wrong Product - Eagle - *NOT*
From: "rick@dj0ip.de" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 11:03:58 +0100
Bob brings up a very good point - not everyone likes radios like the 7300.

Carl's comments are valid and ICOM certainly hit the jackpot with that radio
but a lot of people have sold them soon after purchase - though few in
percentage of the something like 10,000 other purchasers who apparently are
happy.

Ten-Tec has always been something of a cult radio and never had an installed
base anything like that of any of the three leading JA companies.  People
either loved it or hated it.
I'm in the first group, but I also understand that most people I know are in
the second group.

Certainly there is a market for other types of radios and people are willing
to pay a premium price to own them, just as people pay premium prices to own
certain automobile types.

Ten-Tec will NEVER compete in the IC-7300 market segment.
Defining a new radio for T-T to build that has most of the features of the
7300 is a waste of time and effort.  Just buy a 7300.

Important for T-T's survival is to build something RIGHT NOW, and then have
something follow soon.  That means Eagle or Argo6.

"Soon" dictates that it can't deviate too much from the Eagle.
Something along the lines Terry was suggesting.

IMO, if Mike does not succeed at those two things, there isn't going to be a
follow on product.

So if we want to be constructive, let's brainstorm what could be easily
accomplished in the very near future.

Example:  Eagle in a larger box, larger display, larger knobs, slot for 2nd
RX, 9 MHz IF 'and' filtered RF to the back-panel for connection to an
external Panadaptor RX.  ATU (IMO) 'optional', because if you own a linear,
you probably already own a high power matchbox.  Oh, and don't forget to
address the AMP KEY timing, so add "hang time" to it so that it does not
require the external Model 318.

THIS is easily doable in a short amount of time.

My gut feeling is that most of the T-T fans (and future purchasers) are over
50 and even over 60 years old.  Most of these guys are not looking for tons
of bells and whistles.  Some don't even want a panadaptor so don't make them
pay for one.  Most of us in that category just want traditional great QSK
operation on CW and clean audio on SSB - along with a RX with good filters.
Our fingers are not as nimble as they once were, so we need larger knobs.
Our eyes are not as good...larger S-meter.  AND OUR RETIREMENT PAY is not as
much as we once earned, so don't make it too expensive!

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)