Re: [TenTec] Wrong Product - Eagle

To: terry foskey <n5tf@yahoo.com>, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Wrong Product - Eagle
From: Louis Ciotti <lciotti1@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 17:10:31 -0500
Here is the problem with Tec Tec right now.

Most people go to websites to look for information.  I am looking for
information on TenTec, I go to the site.  I am met with a home page
that shows photos of 6 possible transceivers, and 2 receivers. Some of
the photos are OK, but they all are grainy, one is down right bad. It
looks amateur-"ish".

OK so lets get past that, let try and buy a radio... ooopps.. it goes
to a under construction page. No mention of the production "pause",
future production plans, nothing... hmmm

OK.... lets get more information... how about the About page... Well
at least this has some information, but it appears dated, and with
this recent news coming via a third party to an e-mail reflector, that
the first production radios will be "eagles" with basically no
updates.  The site states differently, it talks about an Omni 7+, then
a "Super Eagle" then an Orion III... Wait... this all is familiar, oh
yea that same text was published 1 year ago, so that is dated, and
obviously wrong.

OK lets go further... I have a tentec, and they are repairing radios,
lets get that out for repair... Go to service, click the contact us
link... ooopps now I am at mirror of an old site and have a 404
error...

Grrrr.. maybe there is something in the news section... Nope, just a
check back regularly notice...

OK lets go to the contact page.. Hey some useful links finally... but
what is this??  All over the site there are comments about not
contacting Distronix about anything tentec related, but it looks like
if you are a commercial company or government customer you get to call
Distronix..  Well I guess we know who they care about....

All of this adds up to people thinking TenTec is gone... or at least
no longer viable long term option

My thoughts:

1) if the radio is not in production, DON'T put it on the products page

2) If I can't order a radio, DON'T even have a products page, because
lets face it, if I can't order a radio, you are not producing radios,
are you a radio manufacture?

3) If you do have service available, have the service page actually
work, and oh have a phone number that people can call, even if it just
goes to voice mail, and oh BTW check the voice mail, and respond. If
you can't have someone to answer the phone, again that leaves an
unsettled feeling with people. After all you are trusting people to
send in their radio for repair, it would be nice to talk to someone
about it.  I am not saying you have to have a tech man the line, it
can just be a person who documents the problem, and files the RMAs, a
pretty low skill position that can't cost that much money.

4) A lot of the website talks about how much better new management is
doing, seems sort of thing someone would say in house, not to
customers.  Really we do not need to hear how much better you are than
the last guy, prove it with actions not words.

5) Post company news via proper channels, not via a e-mail reflector
through another person.  Company information should come from the
company and nobody else. TenTec needs a face and a voice for the
amateur crowd, and right now all they have is an "OK" website, and
second hand forwarded e-mails..

6) If TenTec is going to make a radio, then fine, figure out the
production time line, price point etc. internally, and then ounce that
is locked down and you have committed to doing it the post it
publicly, and promote it, and oh BTW don't count on a limit run of
radios to keep you afloat, that will never work, it is just kicking
the can down the road. The eagle was released when 2010/2011??  your
going to save the company with 7 year old tech?

I give Mike credit for taking on this beast, and I had hoped he would
have been able to turn things around by now, but I am left feeling
like he is in well over his head.

Just my $0.02 take it for what it is...