Re: [TenTec] Paragon 585 troubleshooting

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Paragon 585 troubleshooting
From: Joe Hetrick <jhetrick@bitjanitor.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 06:06:49 -0500
On 27 Apr 05:55, Vic Klein wrote:
> Do a search in the archives here for Voice Board. There is a Ten Tec mod to
> the voice board to install a diode to prevent the battery from running down,
> while boards that were originally in Omni V and VI radios may not have had
> that. You can test by just removing the board for a while to see if your
> battery stays up.

Yea, that's on the list, but, the issue at the moment is that regardless (with
supply voltage on, rig off, fully charged backup battery) memories/etc are not
retained if rig is powered off.

> I gather you are aware also there was a later revision to the Paragon that
> provided a charging voltage for NiCd batteries, which could cause a problem
> with Alkalines. Are you saying you see 12v on the battery terminals when the
> rig is on?

Yes; I see shack supply voltage levels on the 9V terminals.  This seems to be
whats expected (but somebody could confirm..) based on something I ran across
somewhere.  This rig should have the charging circuit.  Even if it doesn't, the
fact that battery backup stopped functioning is annoying, at best.

Thanks,

Joe

KC0VKN