Re: [TenTec] Paragon 585 troubleshooting

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Paragon 585 troubleshooting
From: Joe Hetrick <jhetrick@bitjanitor.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2017 06:57:55 -0500
  I replaced the harness initially; but the reality is after having it more
fully apart, it probably needs a new logic board.  The damage from the battery
corrosion is significant and probably covers 75-85% of the board.  Most of the
IC's legs appear to have corrosion between them, and I do no relish cleaning
the corrosion and then trying to replace components whose legs are corroded
away after.  Suddenly it becomes quite a task.

I spent some time last evening cleaning traces on the LB and found at least a
half a dozen components that are far enough gone (mostly resistors, but at
least 2 16 pin IC's) that they'd need to be replaced.  I see no sense in
cleaning the board up and leaving those components in place, in most cases the
worst ones are components who have corrosion underneath them.

The time and expense at this point are discouraging.  I think the most logical
thing at this point is to part out and offer up the functioning parts of the
unit (which..is everything minus the logic board).

So, thanks to everyone for their advice.  A lesson was learned in the end, so,
as always there are silver linings.

73
 Joe KC0VKN