Re: [TenTec] Omni VI questions

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI questions
From: Greg S via TenTec <tentec@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2017 14:33:09 -0400

 Stan.....

Congrats on your new rig. The 288 filter is 1.8Kc wide narrow SSB filter. Any
numbers on the other filter at all? .......as far as being "off"
frequency.....at this point I consider it a feature, and not a bug. Component
(mostly crystal) aging takes a toll. You can go thru all the alignment steps,
and some bands may get better. You are dealing with multiple crystals, and
their alignments interact somewhat. More power to you, if you intend on getting
it all closer than 20 cycles on all bands. I suggest using it as is for a
while, before tackling it......others will probably chime in....this is my
personal experience. Others may have better advice.

Vy 73- Greg, KC8HXO

> On Jul 30, 2017 at 14:16,  <Stan Gammons (mailto:s_gammons@charter.net)>
> wrote:
>

>  Hi everyone, I have an Omni VI I recently purchased and have a couple
> questions about it. It has a 2.4 Khz and 500 Hz filter on the PBT board. The
> 9 Mhz IF board has 2 filters on it as well. But I don't know what bandwidth
> the filters are on the IF board. The filter in the optional filter slot has
> 288 written on top of the crystals. It has 8 crystals on it. I don't see a
> 2XX number on the the other filter on the IF board. It too has 8 crystals on
> it. Aside from sweeping them, anyone know of another way to identify what the
> filters are? The other question is, is there a common failure that would
> cause the radio to be off frequency? Near as I can tell using fldigi in one
> of the wide PSK modes and tuning to WWV, the radio is off about 20 Hz off on
> LSB and about 40 Hz off on USB. The PS I got with the radio is a model 960.
> Over time the voltage from it will vary a little according to my Fluke 8842A.
> Only from 13.8560 to 13.8538 or so. If I deciphered the S/N correctly, the rad
 io was m
ade in Nov 1996. The PS S/N doesn't seem to follow standard numbering, so I'm
unsure of the age of it. So, I don't know if it's time to considering replacing
all of the electrolytics in the radio and PS. Any and all help is appreciated.