Re: [TenTec] Omni VI filters

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI filters
From: Stan Gammons <s_gammons@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2017 00:34:22 -0500
On 08/06/2017 10:58 PM, Ken Brown wrote:

The other thing that really matters is the spectral distribution of the
noise and signal power within the filter bandpass. For example if the power
of the noise or the signal is distributed uniformly across the whole 2.4
kHz bandwidth of the filter, then it would be perfectly normal for the S
meter reading to drop by a factor of 1.8 / 2.4 when switching from the 2.4
kHz filter to the 1.8 kHz filter.

Hi Ken,

The S meter does not drop when switching from 2.4 to 1.8 The S meter increases around 2 S units or so when going from 2.4 to 1.8 With the narrower 500 Hertz filter, the S meter is the same as it is with the 2.4 filter. Since I'm not familiar with the Omni VI, I don't know if it has any compensation for the narrow 2nd IF filters. Guess I need to read the manual :)

73

Stan
KM4HQE