Re: [TenTec] CW OPERATION WITH ANAN-10 AND TEN TEC 418

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] CW OPERATION WITH ANAN-10 AND TEN TEC 418
From: "rick@dj0ip.de" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2017 22:33:46 +0200
It's not, Jim.
17mS is just fine.

Back in the 70s when I worked in the lab at Rhode und Schwarz, we did
testing with QRP transceivers and several amps, and eventually produced a
time sequencer for keying older amps.

What we learned was that even at 25ms, you could still run QSK effectively
at 40 wpm.

You could just barely detect something going on between dits, but it was
perhaps questionable.  But in the pause between characters, you could
clearly copy stuff.  Character pauses occur often enough that for all
practical purposes you don't notice a difference between using it that way
and running true 100% QSK.

Old amps such as the L4-B or SB-200 with their open-frame T/R relays require
about 22mS to prevent burning of relay contacts "no matter what".  To be on
the safe side we set our delay to 25mS.

I generally contest between 30 and 40 wpm.
I had no problem with this.

Die-hards who want to go faster should purchase a QSK amp.

73
Rick, DJ0IP