Re: [TenTec] LONG: Audio improvements on Argonaut VI

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] LONG: Audio improvements on Argonaut VI
From: Carlos <carlos.peco@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2018 19:23:35 +1000
Hi Rick,

Success. I have been away for almost the entire week due to work
commitments (I'm very fortunate, my job involves HF receivers and direction
finders) but today I managed to put a couple of hours in the Argonaut VI.

- I connected an active amplifier to the Line Out connector, and none of
the digital artifacts or the tuning noise can be heard. - The hiss is
almost non-existent in the Line Out connector.
- I can amplify the audio to a very confortable level without any sign of
distortion.

So there a mixture of issues and non-issues in my radio. There is digital
noise in the internal speaker (you can only perceive it with quiet band
conditions and nobody around, or with the RF gain in the low side, or with
headphones) and, additionally, it might be that the internal audio
amplifier or the speaker need service because people sounds a bit distorted
when using the internal audio chain.

In any case, using the Line Out and a quiet external active speaker, the
radio is absolutely great.

On a side note, the noise blanker cancels with great ease the Chinese OTHR
radars on 20 meters. Really good.

So I'll be using the external active speaker and, one of these days, I'll
measure the THD generated by the internal amplifier to determine if I have
to change the audio chip or the speaker.

73,
Carlos VK1EA