Re: [TenTec] Audio improvements on Argonaut VI

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Audio improvements on Argonaut VI
From: Carlos <carlos.peco@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2018 06:56:30 +1000
Hi,

I'll take a proper look when I'm back home (away for the whole week). My
guess is that the audio amplifier is damaged, but that is just a guess.

In regards to the encoder-related noise... it is not a practical issue, but
it would have been better if it haven't been there.

However, I do understand that there is a limit to the amount of time and
money that can be put in a product and, despite of any issues or
non-issues, Ten-Tec radios provide (at least from my point of view) great
value for money and an endless source of fun.

73,
Carlos VK1EA

On Tuesday, August 21, 2018, Bob McGraw K4TAX <rmcgraw@blomand.net> wrote:
> Carlos et & al:
>
> If you are finding the headphone audio cleaner than the speaker audio,
the audio amp which drives the headphones and speaker is the same device.
This would seem to indicate the audio amplification is working correctly.

> If you have an external speaker plugged into the headphone jack, the
headphone jack is isolated via resistors and the AF amp will not drive an
external speaker.    Try an amplified speaker such as computer desk top
speakers.

> The internal speaker itself may be defective thus the source of the
distortion you are hearing.

> As to the noise, without quantifying, it is hard to say if there is an
issue.  Just because it can be heard is no reason to be of concern.  If it
covers up weak signals then it is a concern.   A good test is to measure
the audio output with a ACVM with no antenna attached, RX input terminated
into 50 ohms, RF gain at maximum.  Then attach the antenna on a quiet band
such as 10M. You should see a 3 dB to 6 dB increase in noise.  If so, there
is no receiver issue.   If antenna noise is 3 dB to 6 dB above receiver
noise then you will hear any weak signals on the band.

> Unless the radio is defective, any artifacts which you describe and under
the conditions you apply are likely design related. Just because noise can
be heard in the audio is no indication of any defects or design related
issues.      I do not know of any Tentec approved modification to correct
any of your concerns.

> In the comparison with the two radios on my desk, a Tentec Eagle and an
Elecraft K3S, with the RX input terminated and using headphones, RF gain at
minimum and AF Gain at maximum, I hear a small amount of hiss from both
radios.  With AF Gain at minimum, a very slight amount of digital noise is
heard.  In both cases, the settings are far from normal operating
conditions.

> I do not have an Argonaut VI on the desk at present as mine is on loan to
a friend.   In this regard,  have done a significant amount of the beta
testing, being a member of the Tentec beta test team for firmware for the
Omni VII, Eagle, and Argonaut VI radios.  In doing so, I find no
operational conditions which are deemed a fault of design or manufacturer
of the products when operated under normal conditions.