Re: [TenTec] Corsair II tuning

To: <TenTec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Corsair II tuning
From: Duane - N9DG via TenTec <tentec@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2018 19:07:47 +0000 (UTC)

A test that would be interesting to see is if the behavior of how the CW
signals tune behaves the same way when the mode switch is set to SB-N and then
SB-R. They should behave differently from each other, one should tune like you
expect CW to tune. And the other the way you now see CW tune.

If SB-N and SB-R behave as expected then there's a very good chance that one of
the connections between the Mode switch and DSB board is not making the needed
connection when in CW mode. In any case it would be well worth the time and
effort to check the interconnection wire connections between the Mode switch
and the DSB board.

After looking at the block diagrams and schematics it looks like that CW should
tune as if the radio is in CW-N, if the mode is set to CW-R it should tune the
opposite way, and the way you are describing.

So the suggestion that the problem is in the Double Sideband Board (DSB), or
the wiring to it, I think is correct. But it should be noted that in the
Corsair II there is just one crystal that is placed above and below the IF
filter passband by capacitor that is switched into the BFO oscillator circuit
by the positions on the Mode switch. And in the case of the CW tuning the wrong
direction is because that crystal is not running at the right frequency.

So the issue is not related to the PTO or the LO oscillator mixer boards.

Duane
N9DG