[TenTec] Omni VI audio problem

To: 'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment' <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI audio problem
From: Stan Gammons <s_gammons@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2018 20:00:01 -0500
Hi All,

I was tinkering with an old D-104 T-UG8 that I had put a Heil conversion kit in since the original element bit the dust. I ask for an audio report from some of the locals that know what I sound like and they said I sounded terrible.  So, I switched to the Ten-Tec 707 mic, same report. So, I tried my trusty old EV-638. Same story.  I didn't try it with the converted D-104 to see what it sounds like. They initially told me it sounded like the mic was picking up something like a fan maybe, so turning the gain down helped a little but not a lot. SO, today I decided to put the Omni VI on a dummy load and listen to it with my Drake TR7.  Yuck! The Omni VI sounds terrible!  It's almost like there is a little bit of a carrier and it has what sounds like digital hash on it. It gets worse the higher the mic gain is cranked. When I modulate, the audio sounds all distorted. Even without modulation, if I turn the processor on and crank it up, the digital hash in the audio seems to get even worse. SO, just to make sure it wasn't something weird going on, I did the same thing with the TR7.  I put it on a dummy load and listened to it with the Omni VI. I tried it with the same mics and the audio is clean. No hash or anything.  Anyone heard of a problem like this with an Omni VI?

73

Stan
KM4HQE