Re: [TenTec] Omni V Assistance Needed

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni V Assistance Needed
From: MadScientist <dukeshifi@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2018 17:23:31 -0500
Sorry, I misread… I was focussed on a previous radio (a Paragon).

Your problem is most certainly due to the fact that the 5.0 to 5.5 MHz PLL is
going out of lock. This model does not produce any out-of-lock fault regardless
of the lock condition of the PLL so it can be out-of-lock with no indication of
that condition. The radio will still produce normal band hiss but you will not
be able to tune in signals.

Oddly, he radio will still transmit in this condition, but well out of the Ham
bands! It will transmit on the frequency at which the VCO settles when out-of
lock, about 14.6 MHz, regardless of dial setting or display readout reading. It
will also be very unstable.

From what you describe (now that I am on the right page model-wise) i would
suggest replacing the dual gate MOSFET in the loop IF.

I recently repaired an Omni 6 that had the same problem as your Omni 5 has.
That FET was the culprit and what’s worse, it pulled the alignment due to
leakage of the device. It was highly intermittent. The heat/cool method was the
only way I could point to it, but monitoring the loop test point was the only
way I could prove it to myself.

The way to really determine if this is the fault is to put a voltmeter on the
10K resistor test point of the loop IF (That resistor stands up on the board
whereas all of the others lie down, and the test point is the high end of that
resistor (thankfully). Then, from a cold start of the radio, monitor that
voltage as the warmup progresses. While the PLL will lock with as little as 80
mV at t his point, it will be unstable. You SHOULD get, as I said, >300 mV at
all three band test frequencies.

The actually band selection is not important because this PLL operates the same
regardless of band. However, an exception exists in that the PLL will not tune
to “500” position on 40 meters.

Also, the PLL tunes in opposite directions on low bands and high bands. That is
why I chose 20 meters to select which coil to peak at what frequency.

I used a BF988, available from Littediode on eBay to replace the loop IF FET.
The devices I get for Littlediode always work so they are a safe seller IMHO.

You may need to align the loop IF if you do not get at least 300 mV DC on the
loop IF test point on all portions of the band (14.000, 14.250 and 14.500)
since this is a broadly tuned LC IF stage that was likely originally aligned
using a sweep generator.

I approximated the sweep generator by aligning the three IF coils, one a tach
frequency test point. The left most I peaked at 14.200, the middle one at
14.250 and the right most one at 14.500 (radio on 20 meters, of course).

Gary