[TenTec] Paragon Finals and other woes

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Paragon Finals and other woes
From: Bwana Bob <wb2vuf@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2019 21:35:09 -0500
Hi, all,

I'm trying to fix a Paragon for one of the OTs here.  I just can't keep it running for more than a couple of weeks at a time. I fixed multiple PLL problems and got it running nicely.  Then, the Ten Tec power supply blew (looks like both pass transistors went), so an Astron power supply was substituted.  The Paragon kept shutting down until the owner cranked up the voltage all the way.  I determined that there was too much voltage drop (about 2 volts, key down) in the power cable, which was relatively long, with multiple splices. I suggested shortening it.  This was done and now the rig won't power on at all.  I went back and did some more troubleshooting. I found that the power switch ground return on the power control board was open.  I fixed that, but found a short on the 13.8 V bus.  I haven't dug into it yet, but fear that the Astron supply zapped the finals.

R.F. Parts still carries the Motorola MRF458 at a reasonable price, but would I need a matched pair?

I also have a couple of questions on the power control board:  The manual states that the fuse is an AGC-25, which is fast-acting, but the schematic shows an MDL-25 fuse, which is time-delayed. Which is correct, or is it non-critical?  I also notice, comparing schematics, that the Omni V has an additional circuit on the power control board that delays closure of the power relay.  I don't know what purpose this serves or if it is worth adding to the Paragon.

Finally, there is the question that at what point does it not pay to fix a Paragon.  I've fixed my own Paragon a few times and it works fine, but this other one is a nightmare!  It might be better to look for a parts unit or a used one in better shape, and keep this one as a parts rig!

73,

Bob WB2VUF

---