Re: [TenTec] Paragon Finals and other woes

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>, Bwana Bob <wb2vuf@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Paragon Finals and other woes
From: Ben Hall <kd5byb@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2019 09:10:36 -0600
On 1/28/2019 8:35 PM, Bwana Bob wrote:
on the power control board was open.  I fixed that, but found a short on the 13.8 V bus.  I haven't dug into it yet, but fear that the Astron supply zapped the finals.

I've got a Paragon here with a short in the RF power amplifier somewhere. It's strange - the radio will power-on for a few seconds before current on the supply (proper Ten-Tec supply) ramps up shutting it off. I know it is in the power amp module - if I disconnect the heavy gauge red wire to the power amp, it will power-up without any issues. The power supply is fine - no issues there.

I'm almost thinking that with this behavior, it's not the transistors themselves, but something goofy in the other components leading to a turn-on of the finals? Not sure.

I too am wondering if I should fix it or not. Before it broke it was a good running Paragon - sent and received fine. It's sentimental, it was my father-in-laws rig before he became an SK suddenly in a motorcycle wreck. But like some others have already posted, it seems like these radios have a lot of issues over time so that if I fix the problem in the finals, what's next?

FWIW, if the problem is in the driver MRF476, haven't found a mainstream place that sells those yet.

Thanks much and 73,
ben, kd5byb